Painters Insurance

Insurance for Painters

If you’re a self-employed painter, one of the most important forms of insurance you need to consider is public liability.

Public liability insurance can protect a painter from a range of risks relating to property damage and personal injury, and in many cases it will be mandatory in order to enter a worksite.

In this guide we will take a looking at the various forms of insurance that painters can benefit from, with a particular focus on public liability cover.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability is a type of business insurance that protects owners in the event that the activities of their business result in property damage or personal injury to another person.

If another person such as a client or member of the public suffers a loss due to your negligence, you can be found liable for that loss and therefore financially responsible for it.

Usually this cost would need to be covered by you or your company (depending on your business structure), however with public liability insurance in place you can have the claim settled by the insurer instead.

Examples of Claims

For a painter there are dozens of different incidents that could result in a public liability claim. Some of these can be fairly minor, whilst others can be very serious in terms of the money involved.

The first example we will look at involves property damage. In this case a painter smashed a large pane of glass whilst carrying a ladder into a customer’s house.

The painter was found to be responsible for the damage, and his public liability policy covered the $1,400 cost of replacing the glass.

The second example involves personal injury. In this case a painter left some trestles in front of a customer’s front door. When the elderly occupant exited their house they tripped over the unsighted trestles and suffered serious injuries.

The painter was found to be responsible for the injuries as they had acted negligently in leaving the trestles in such a location without any type of visual warning.

Thankfully the customer’s sizable medical and rehabilitation costs were covered by the public liability insurer rather than coming out of the painter’s own funds.

Which Painters Need It?

Any painter who works for their own business or for others as a subcontractor should have public liability insurance.

Whilst the cover is not mandatory from a legal perspective for a painter, many building and construction companies will require that subcontractors have insurance in place before being allowed onto a worksite.

Painters Insurance Cost

For a sole trader working on painting projects no higher than ten metres the cost of the insurance will be very affordable, starting at around $450 for $5 million cover.

The public liability insurance cost can differ depending on a number of other factors however.

For example if you have multiple staff, high annual turnover, work at heights or in high risk locations, the cost of your insurance can be a little or a lot higher depending on the circumstances.

Other Forms of Cover

Although public liability is certainly the most common form of painters insurance, there are other forms of cover that should be considered.

General property insurance (commonly known as tool insurance) is very popular within painters, and can be included in a public liability policy for a small additional fee.

Self-employed painters should also consider income protection and life insurance. For these covers you should seek advice from a qualified financial adviser.

More Information

If you would like more information on painters insurance, or if you would like a to obtain a quote on your cover, you can get in contact with us via the contact form or our online quote request form.

Having the right insurance in place is important for any painting contractor or business owners, and if you do your homework you can protect yourself with quality cover at a affordable price.

Working at Heights

Do you work at heights exceeding ten metres? If so, there are a few things you should know about when it comes to insurance.

Almost all insurers have limits in place when it comes to heights. Whilst this won’t impact upon most business types, it is of particular importance amongst tradespeople.

This guide will cover what workers need to know about working at heights and how it can affect their insurance.

How Is ‘Working At Heights’ Defined?

For most insurers, anything above ten metres is regarded as ‘working at heights’.

Generally speaking they are looking at the distance between you and the nearest solid floor.

Taking a high rise building as an example, if you were working inside of the building and there were no more than ten metres between you and the solid floor, there would be no issue.

However if you were on the outside of the building cleaning the windows, and there was more than ten metres between you and the ground (excluding any sort of work platform) it would be regarded as working at heights.

If you were working inside of the building, but were still more than ten metres above the ground (in a lobby for example) that would also be classed as working at heights.

When we talk about solid floor, we are generally referring to the ground or to a floor within a fully enclosed building. Scaffolding and other types of platforms are not regarding as a solid floor.

Why Do Heights Matter?

For many business types and occupations, working at heights can increase the risk of property damage or personal injury to either yourself or to other members of the public.

Because most insurers have restrictions on the heights they will cover, it is important that you tell them about the heights you work at. If you don’t, and you have to make a claim for an incident which has occurred at heights, you may find that your claim is denied.

Obtaining Insurance For Heights

The main type of business insurance that will be impacted upon by the height you work at will be your public liability. Income protection may also be affected, but that is a separate matter that is not covered in this guide.

Whilst almost all of the mainstream insurers will not cover work at heights exceeding ten metres, there are specialist insurers who are more than willing to assist.

If you do work at heights, it is simply a matter of telling your insurance broker about those heights. Your broker will then find an insurer who is able to offer you full cover for the work you do.

Policies covering work at heights will generally feature a higher insurance cost, but it is worth paying the extra so that you know you are properly protected, instead of risking it with an inadequate policy.

For more information about how working at heights may affect your insurance please contact your broker or insurer direct.

If you are looking for a new policy, please contact us on 1300 843 086 or complete our online quote request and we will refer you to a suitable insurance adviser for assistance.

Certificate of Currency

There is one thing that many people want from their insurance other than protection, and that is a certificate of currency.

A certificate of currency is a document issued by the insurer or your insurance broker which confirms the details of your cover.

In this guide we’ll take a look at what purpose the certificate serves along with a number of other issues surrounding them.

What is a Certificate of Currency?

A business will often be asked for a certificate of currency to confirm that they have the right public liability in place. Commonly it will be requested by other businesses or government departments.

The certificate will confirm the details of your cover, and although the information can differ from one insurer to the next it will commonly include the following:

  • The name of the insured person or business
  • A brief description of the business activities covered
  • The type of cover held
  • The amount of cover held
  • The start and finish date for the cover

In some cases the certificate may also include any endorsements or exclusions that apply to the policy, but this is not always the case.

Special Certificates

In some cases a special certificate of currency will be required. The most common example is that of Qld electrical contractors.

When applying for or renewing a Qld electrical contractors licence you need to provide the licensing department with a special certificate that is based on the approved government template.

If you require a special certificate it is important to check with the insurer or the broker upfront that they can provide one, as not all of them will be able to.

Certificate Issues

Unfortunately there is a growing problem (especially amongst tradesmen) to take out public liability insurance, and then to cancel the policy as soon as they receive their certificate of currency.

Because the certificate covers the full twelve month term, the person will then provide that certificate to everyone they deal with, and unfortunately there is no way for the other business to know that the person is not actually insured.

Thankfully it is very much the minority of people doing this, but many insurance brokers have found that it is a growing problem that they struggle to deal with.

As a result of this activity by some tradesmen, many brokers now refuse to deal with tradies unless they pay the full annual premium upfront.

Tradies and other people engaging in this activity need to know that what they are doing borders on fraudulent activity, as they are providing an insurance document to someone will full knowledge that no cover is actually in place.

Order a Certificate of Currency

If you have used the services of an insurance broker or adviser to arrange your public liability insurance, the best option is to contact them and request a certificate.

If you arranged your insurance directly through the insurance company, you will need to contact them directly to order the certificate.

Once you have a copy of your certificate it is a great idea to keep an extra copy for safe keeping. That way each time someone requests one you already have a copy ready to go.